"What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do" Alan Bennett

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Looking back at 2013 and looking forward to 2014



Happy New Year to everyone reading this post! I hope that 2014 will be a much more prosperous year for you than 2013 and that 2014 will be filled with phenomenal new books!

2013 was an interesting year for me. I moved from the Eastern Cape to the Western Cape. I met several new people. I made many new friends. I got to meet some twitter friends in person. I went to my first Warehouse Sale.

2013 was also a year where I fell very short on my reading goals. Since starting Bibliophilia 2013 was the year that saw me with the lowest reading stats. I only managed a paltry 30 books. Yes it is 30 books more than some people have read, but for someone who is accustomed to reading 50+ books a year 30 is a great disappointment. 

2013 also saw the least blog posts on Bibliophilia since its inception. Very disappointing – but I am working on the work/life balance and I hope quite fervently that I’ll fare better in 2014.

But enough negativity – let’s focus on the positive things that happened in a brief summary of 2013:


  • I won a Red Trolley Dash with Exclusive Books and managed to grab over R8000’s worth of books.

  • I met Cat Hellisen and Nerine Dorman. Cat signed my copy of When the Sea is Rising Red. The same day I met Tammy February of Women24’s Book Club and blogger over at The Book Fairy’s Haven. I also met Lauren Smith of Violin in a Void.

  • Tammy got a copy of The Imagined Child signed by Joanne Richards signed for me at the Franschoek Literary Festival.

  • I got an amazing haul of books from the Exclusive Books Warehouse Sale including numerous Penguin English Library titles.

  • I was approached by Candice Wiggett of Penguin Books to review books for Penguin.

  • I got some awesome swag for pre-ordering The Archived and Vicious by Victoria Schwab.

So as far as bookish things go 2013 was not a bad year. I just fell short of my reading and blogging targets. 

I remain hopeful that 2014 will be a better and more interesting year as far as books, blogging and bookish events go. So here are my bookish goals for 2014:


  •   Read 40 books. Not a very high number, but I would like to read more in 2014 than I did in 2013.
  • Read at least 5 classics. 2013 saw me reading only 1 classic – which is just wrong.

  • Get back into posting Classics Club reads.

  • Go to the Cape Town Book Fair.
  • Be more active on Bibliophilia and in the blogosphere in general.

That looks pretty good for now.  I can always add more items later as the year progresses and I make progress on these goals.



Do you have any bookish goals for 2014? What kind of bookish year was 2013 for you?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the challenges you've set for yourself! Happy reading in 2014!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.