"What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do" Alan Bennett

Friday, March 8, 2013

My Favourite Things - The March Edition

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens. Brown paper packages tied up with string. These are a few of my favourite things" Julie Andrews

I thought that since this month is my birthday month, I would talk about some of my favourite things, and maybe, just maybe it would result in extra bookish gifts... just maybe.

There are many things that I enjoy, so I have many favourite things. Be prepared for a rather lengthy post, as I gush about my favourite things.

I'll start with the obvious...

Books

I have a great many favourite books, those who know me won't be suprised when I cite Jeffrey Eugenides and J.D. Salinger as being among my favourite authors. A Perfect Day for Bananafish is my favourite short story, the first time I read it my jaw literally dropped, and well as story that can elicit that kind of response from me is gold in my books. The Virgin Suicides has enthralled me for more than a decade - the mystery of the Lisbon sisters is one I still cannot get over. Middlesex still lives rather vividly in my mind - this modern Odyssey so marvellously crafted.

As far as the Classics go, I count The Great Gatsby, The Colour Purple, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Romeo and Juliet, Rebecca and The Catcher in the Rye as among my favourites. My all time favourite though remains Gone with the Wind. I expect that my list of favourite classics shall expand as I proceed with my journey reading the Classics.

But, as you know, I am not only a reader of serious books, some of my favourite YA books are Fated and Echo by Alyson Noel, The Archived by Victoria Schwab, Ten things we did (but probably shouldn't have) Cinder by Marissa Meyer, The Mara Dyer Series,The Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking... I could go on for a while. One of my all time favourites though: The Harry Potter books - it's like Roald Dahl's awesomeness updated.

I also love Cozy Mysteries, and I have to say that Lorna Barrett and her Booktown Mystery Series is my favourite - cozy mystery + books = epic win!! And don't get me started on my favourite autobiographies and memoirs! You just need to look back at my February That's Life post to see my favourites!

From the Screen

I adore many films and series such as Mrs Henderson Presents, Moulin Rouge, Seabiscuit, Domino, The Little Mermaid, The Harry Potter movies, The Virgin Suicides, The Sound of Music, Grease, Ferris Beular's Day Off... There are so many more but these are at the top for me. Oh and Snakes on a Plane - it's so funny!! Don't get me started on my love for Downton Abbey, Absolutely Fabulous and Blackadder. British Comedies are in my mind the best of the best - Fawlty Towers, The Thin Blue Line, My Family... it doesn't get better than that. This does not mean I dismiss the comedy of the Americans - I do so adore Parks and Recreation, Frasier, Will and Grace, Greek and an old favourite - Everybody Loves Raymond. I also absolutely adore Boston Legal. And Fringe - I LOVE Fringe - John Noble and Joshua Jackson make the show! So it is no wonder that they and Fringe are some of my favourite things! Of the more serious variety - Revenge, Mad Men and the Good Wife are among my favourites. Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, George Clooney, Steve Buscemi, Maggie Smith, Judie Dench, John Cleese, Joanna Lumley, Jennifer Saunders, John Cusack, Rob Lowe, Nicole Kidman - these are some of my favourite actors.

Some other favourites
  • getting postcards
  • gelatto
  • red velvet cake
  • pumpkin loaf
  • cherries
  • prawns
  • cats
  • penguins
  • orchids
  • Knysna
  • Freddie Mercury and Queen
These are a few of my favourite things, and now for some reviews of my current favourite books...

1 comment:

  1. Title:
    The Best High Returns on Best Investment

    Content:
    Welcome to Make Money Online with best investment in Hedge fund day trading with high returns on Daily Interest the world best revenue sharing program in which High Yield Investment Program, Best Hyip, Best Investment, Hyip Monitor, Forex Fund, Daily Profit, Monthly Interest, Monthly Profit, Earn Money Online, Money Maker Group, Dream Team Money and like this much more and you can withdraw the amount throw referral commission, eCurrency Invest, LibertyReserve, Alert Pay and SolidTrustPay as well. Get 200% profit within 150 days and the minimum withdraw is only $5 which is on daily basis.
    For More Details click the link below:

    Web Link:
    http://www.whatacash.com

    Display Name: whatacash

    ReplyDelete

What did you think? I would love to read your comments.